Top safety tips for new homeowners in Fort Myers
If you just bought your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and your family. You might be considering how you can individualize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Fort Myers.
Perform a safety check of your new Fort Myers property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, find out what your new home has in terms of protection. To start, make sure you have operational smoke detectors. Test each one and switch out batteries if required. Are CO detectors in the house? Is there a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and get to know your new home.
Smart security tips for your Fort Myers home
Once you’ve done your initial investigation of safety alarms and locks, you can look into improving your property’s defense. Begin with these security tips for your home in Fort Myers.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in Fort Myers is a home security system. Modern wireless advancements let you keep an eye on your home even when you’re away. You may review live video footage, engage entry locks, and even speak with people at your door directly from your cell phone. You may personalize your defense with worthwhile security implements like video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Update exterior lighting. Outside lights with motion sensors are an effective solution in discouraging potential intruders. You may even incorporate them with outdoor cameras. The activating of a motion detector can tell your video equipment to record.
- Take care of your yard. Do you have an unobstructed perspective of your property from the interior? Are there large bushes and trees blocking your view? Get rid of potential hiding spots for trespassers by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Meet folks in your area. Speaking of your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you are friends with people nearby, there’s a greater probability they’ll advise you if they detect suspicious behavior. You may also join your community’s social media group if one is created.
- Utilize home automation. If you install an innovative smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by activating smart lighting at programmed moments. This is a fantastic tool when you’re at work or on vacation.